The major functions of the Board are :
- To conduct High School Certificate Examinations (H.S.C.E.) and examinations of other courses prescribed by the Board.
- To prepare courses of studies, text books, teaching materials etc.
- To publish and distribute/sell text books, syllabuses, lesson notes, work books and other related materials.
- To issue certificates of the examinations conducted by the Board and equivalence certificate to the examinations of other State Boards.
- To recognise the secondary schools for the examinations of the Board.
- To make regulations for undertaking different functions of the Board.
- To take care of Secondary Education through Orientation Programmes, Refresher Courses and other academic programmes.